"As it was in the beginning it is in the end."

Co, Today on July 7, 2010, you coaxed me into the ocean, my favorite place. I remember holding both you and your sister in my arms while the waves crashed in Maine.  Neither of you ever wanted to come out.I remember teaching you how to body surf with boogy boards and then without.  Your Uncle Scott taught you how to dive into the waves that were going to crash on you in California. He also swooped both of you up when a dangerous wave came that could have carried you out.
Today you said," I am going in. Are you?" So I went.Being seriously ill , I am not afraid with you, you lifeguard. You taught me all over again how to dive into the waves that were going to crash. I had forgotten and you know why. We swam far out. I asked you, " Co, Why are there warm spots here?" You replied, "What do you think I am ,a science nurd?" Then you said, "I can stand here." You had said that to me two years before. You are taller than I am. I tried and failed. You laughed at my naivete. Then you said, "I can drown," It was so funny. Do you remember?
Do you remember the night of July 4th when your Dad and sister were asleep and you and I went to watch the  fireworks in Ogunuquit? How old were you? I left my keys someplace in the sand as we moved closer to see the fireworks. How you ended up finding them, I will never know. Do you remember the night at the Cliff House when you and I were the only ones awake and we sat on the balcony and watched the fireflies?
Years ago, when we actually had 2 whole weeks in Maine, it rained almost every day. When it was finally almost sunny we looked for starfish. We could not find any. You were desolate. I told you that before we left we would find  a starfish. And we did. You lost your shoe when we crossed the river to where the starfish rolled in. You were so upset about losing things. Please read my entry on  my experience with things.
July 7, 2010- " You know, Co, I have not ridden a wave in in such a long time."  So we tried and failed and I said," I think we are going to have to wait until August to catch that wave." We'll catch it today, Mom," you replied. So we did, and we rode that wave all the way back to Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment