Schwanger

Cannot remember where I am. Will go back. I had an appointment with the ChefArzt  once a month when I was pregnant with you. One day, he was not there and I got a male intern who either had been up for 72 hours or just never got it. In German, he looked at my chart and said, "Oh my God, red. That means something bad." And then, he said, "You have cancer." I had not known that, but we beat it together, you and me.
I went about my business and planted flowers and vegetables before you were born and tended to all three of my gardens. You were born two weeks later than my due date. With you I was a dutiful German. I followed all the rules except for some. When the government called your Papi ( among one) and said that number one, your name was not in their book of names I exploded. They only had a  first name with a different spelling and they would not allow me to give you the middle name that  We wanted to. It is the last name of your great-aunt and uncle without whom you never would have been born.

No comments:

Post a Comment